UBO University of Western Brittany Brest

Welcome to UBO
Université de Bretagne Occidentale
Brest | Quimper | Morlaix


What do i do?

International students holding the proper credentials to access higher education in the country in which they were delivered (third-year Bachelor's, first- and second-year Master's degrees [Licence 3, Master 1 and Master 2] must contact the cultural service of the French Embassy in their country of residence, that generally offer direct links to the Campus France service. All applications must be made via this service.
If you do not follow this on-line procedure, Université de Bretagne Occidentale will be unable to accept your application. 

You must complete the process between November 1 and March 31 of the academic year preceding your registration at the university.

The CEF [Centre pour Études en France] scheme provides support and advice for completing all procedures up to and including the visa application. You can also follow the progress of your application via the Internet. You must follow several different steps to complete your online application:

Completing the online application

  • 1. You must fill out a pre-registration form on the Campus France website. Please go to www.campusfrance.org, then click on "Create a new account". Important! The deadline for creating your application is March 31. For practical reasons, it is strongly recommended to begin your application well in advance.
  • 2. Once your application has been created, you will be given an ID number. Write this number down and keep it in a safe place, as you will need it to access your application later.
  • 3. Campus France will set up an interview in which you will discuss your study plans. The Campus France advisor will inform you of the procedures to follow.
  • 4. If you are from a non-French speaking country (where French is not the official language), you must take a French competency test [Test de Connaissance du Français (TCF)] organized by Campus France. Click here to see the list of French-speaking countries.
  • 5. If your application is accepted at a French institution of higher education, Campus France will inform you of the procedures to follow in order to obtain a long-stay visa.

French competency test [test de connaissance du français (tcf)]

If you are from a non-French speaking country (where French is not the official language) you must take the Test de Connaissance du Français (TCF pour la DAP). This test is organized by the French Embassy of your country of residence and costs EUR 69. Please note that your application will be rejected by Université de Bretagne Occidentale if your French language skill level is below B2.

You may be exempt from the TCF requirements if:

  • you are a national of a country in which French is the official language;
  • you are a non-French student and have taken one of the bilingual French courses included on the list drawn up by the French Ministry of Education in conjunction with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
  • you have passed the DALF [Diplôme Approfondi de Langue Française] (advanced diploma in French language) level C1 or C2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, or the DELF [Diplôme d’Études en Langue Française] (diploma in French language) level B2;
  • you have taken the test organized by the Paris Chamber of Commerce and Industry and obtained a grade of at least 14/20 in the written exams.