UBO University of Western Brittany Brest

Welcome to UBO
Université de Bretagne Occidentale
Brest | Quimper | Morlaix

Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ


> Where can I find accommodation?

See also the Accommodation page

You must complete a Preliminary Admission Application [Demande d’Admission Préalable (DAP)] online between 15 January and 30 April 2015 on the following website : www.crous-rennes.fr

The following students may be allocated University accommodation, depending on availability :

  • Students enrolled in an international agreement programme :

    Please contact the organizers of your programme for more information :
    Campus France for students receiving Campus France grants
    • DEI (European and International Department) for ERASMUS, CREPUQ, and international agreements

3 rue des Archives
Bâtiment de la Présidence
Tel: +33 (0)2 98 01 67 31
Email: dei@univ-brest.fr
Individually-registered students enrolled in 2nd-year Master or Doctorate programmes in a Université Européenne de Bretagne institution

> How much does it cost to live in Brest?

Before you leave, it is strongly recommended that you draw up an accurate budget to get an idea of living expenses. Don’t forget to include any family contributions, scholarships, jobs, etc. 
Students benefit from certain discounts/deals for university residences, restaurants, public transport and entertainment. You may also be eligible for the government benefit “CAF” [Caisse d’allocation familiale].
You will need an overall monthly budget of between €450 (for university halls of residence) and €700 (private accommodation).

Click here for more information

> Where can I apply for a grant or other financial help?

International students may be eligible for government grants awarded by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for education, internships, or language courses in France.
The French Ministry of Foreign Affairs website lists the different grants available.

> Is there a reception office for international students?

If you are studying at UBO through an exchange programme or a cooperative agreement (e.g. Erasmus or CREPUQ) you must report to DEI (European and International Department) to obtain documents and information required for registration.
For individually-registered students (“free movers”), please contact the DEVE Department, (Department of Studies and Student Life, 20 Avenue Le Gorgeu), who will provide you with all the necessary information for making the most out of your studies at the University.
For incoming international students with visas, please visit CMI (International Mobility Centre, Faculté des Lettres et Sciences Humaines - Victor Segalen, 20 Rue Duquesne).

> Where should I go to obtain a visa?

Once UBO has validated your Preliminary Admission Application [Demande d’Admission Préalable (DAP)] you can apply for a visa, which must be done through the French embassy in your country of residence. You need to apply for a long-stay student visa [Visa Long Séjour étudiant] [CESEDA R311-3-6°].

On arrival in France:

  • Go to the CMI – our International Mobility Center, at UBO/UFR de Lettres et Sciences Sociales, Office B-026, 20 rue Duquesne, with your UBO student card, your passport, your visa and the OFII document provided by the consulate.
  • CMI will submit your documents to OFFI (French Office of Immigration and Integration) in Rennes.
  • Once OFII have received your application, it will be registered and you will receive a confirmation of receipt.
  • OFII will arrange for you to have a medical examination in Brest (your appointment letter will specify the required documents and applicable fee).
  • Following a successful medical examination, OFII will place a sticker in your passport allowing you to stay in France for the full length of your visa.

Two months before your visa expires, please contact CMI to find out the necessary steps in the renewal application. Further details are available at http://www.ueb.eu/Theme/EuropeInter/CMIBrest/

Algerian citizens

You need a type “D” visa and then once you have arrived in France you must apply for a first residence permit.
For a full list of the required documents, please visit the following website: http://www.ueb.eu/Theme/EuropeInter/CMIBrest/

On arrival in France:

  • If your date of arrival is between August and October, please make an appointment via www.mobilite-brest.ueb.eu in order to submit your application for a first residence permit.
  • If you arrive at any other time, please go to the CMI Office (International Mobility Centre) directly to make an appointment.
  • When you attend the appointment at CMI (UBO/UFR de Lettres et Sciences Sociales, Office B-026, 20 rue Duquesne), please bring the original appointment letter and all necessary documents (plus a copy of each document).
  • CMI will review your application and arrange a second appointment to submit your application to the Prefecture. You will then be given a document (récépissé) which is valid for six months, confirming that you have carried out the necessary steps.
  • The next step is a medical examination. OFII will send you an appointment letter outlining any documents you need to bring along.
  • At this appointment, you will be issued with a medical certificate which you must bring to CMI as soon as possible. CMI will then send it on to the Prefecture.
  • CMI will inform you when your residence permit is ready for collection.
  • In general, residence permits are valid for one year, starting from the Prefecture’s decision date.


> Does my student visa allow me to work while I am studying?

If you have a long-stay visa, you may work up to 60% (964 hours) of a full-time job once you have passed the medical examination and your passport contains an OFII stamp.

You can work 964 hours for the duration of your visa. Therefore, you could study for seven months and then work full-time for five months, or have a part-time job throughout the whole year. Just bear in mind that you are a student after all! 

For Algerian students: 
You cannot start work until you have received your residence permit. Your working quota is 50% of a full-time job and you need to apply for a temporary work permit prior to commencing any employment.